The Department of Geography and Environmental Studies, previously designated as the Department of Geography, is the first and the oldest Department of Geography in all public and private universities in Kenya. It started as a Department of Geography in 1956 when the University of Nairobi was first established as the Royal Technical College. In 2005, the department was renamed Department of Geography and Environmental Studies. The department offers a wide range of academic programmes leading to Diploma, BA, BSc, BEd, MA, MSc and PhD degrees in diverse fields of geography and environmental studies. Whereas the department is administratively under the Faculty of Arts, it offers degree programmes in the School of Biological Sciences and the School of Education. In addition, the department offers service courses to the School of Biological Sciences; School of Economics; Institute of Anthropology, Gender and African Studies; School of Journalism and Mass Communication; and the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine. As such, the department has produced a significant pool of highly trained and skilled professionals who have continued to play a significant role in the Kenya’s development and beyond. Furthermore, the alumni of the department are employed in all sectors of the economy. The department intends to maintain its position in providing leadership not only in geography and environmental studies, but also in enhancing skills in applications such as Remote Sensing, Geographical Information Systems (GIS), Environmental Impact Assessment and Audit, and Monitoring and Evaluation, among others.
- BA in Geography and Environmental Studies
- BSc in Geography and Environmental Studies
- BEd in Geography
Postgraduate MA/MSc Programmes
- MA in Agricultural Geography
- MA in Biodiversity and Natural Resources Management
- MA in Climatology
- MA in Economic Geography
- MA in Environmental Planning and Management
- MA in Geomorphology
- MA in Population Geography
- MA in Transport Geography
- MA in Urban Geography
- MA in Water Resources Management
- MSc in Hydrology
- MSc in Sustainable Urban Development
- In all fields of Geography and Environmental Studies (PhD is offered by research and thesis)
- Natural Resources Management
Lastly, as you navigate through our web-pages, you will be convinced that:
- The department offers a wide range of degree programmes leading to the creation of knowledge and expertise in diverse fields of geography and environmental studies.
- The department has a pool of highly qualified teaching, research and technical staff in all aspects of geography and environmental studies.
- The department is well equipped with teaching, research and consultancy facilities such as a functional Remote Sensing and GIS laboratory; map reading and interpretation room; cartographical services; surveying and mapping equipment; and a departmental library, among others.
- The department is dynamic, having a “foot” in the School of Physical Sciences and the School of Education. In addition, the department offers service courses to a number of Schools/Facuilties of the University of Nairobi.
- The department has very strong and active links with several governmental, local and international institutions.
You are most welcome to write to us or visit the department for more information.