The Department of Geography and Environmental Studies, previously designated as the Department of Geography, is the first and the oldest Department of Geography in all public and private universities in Kenya. It started as a Department of Geography in 1956 when the University of Nairobi was first established as the Royal Technical College. In 2005, the department was renamed Department of Geography and Environmental Studies. The department offers a wide range of academic programmes leading to Diploma, BA, BSc, BEd, MA, MSc and PhD degrees in diverse fields of geography and environmental studies. Whereas the department is administratively under the Faculty of Arts, it offers degree programmes in the School of Biological Sciences and the School of Education. In addition, the department offers service courses to the School of Biological Sciences; School of Economics; Institute of Anthropology, Gender and African Studies; School of Journalism and Mass Communication; and the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine. As such, the department has produced a significant pool of highly trained and skilled professionals who have continued to play a significant role in the Kenya’s development and beyond. Furthermore, the alumni of the department are employed in all sectors of the economy. The department intends to maintain its position in providing leadership not only in geography and environmental studies, but also in enhancing skills in applications such as Remote Sensing, Geographical Information Systems (GIS), Environmental Impact Assessment and Audit, and Monitoring and Evaluation, among others.